Ann Gould, Vice Chairperson
CALL TO ORDER and CHAIRPERSON'S REPORT
- Ann Gould,
Acting Chairperson Ann Gould called the meeting to order at 2:36
in the Multipurpose Room of the Rutgers Student
Center, College Avenue Campus, New Brunswick. She spoke about the late
Paul Panayotatos, who was Senate chairperson for the current academic
year until his death on April 7. Senator Leslie Fishbein read a
memorial statement for Dr. Panayotatos.
- Ken Swalagin, Executive Secretary
- Linda Mickelsen's Retirement:
Secretary Swalagin thanked Linda Mickelsen, who was retiring after 26
years as the Senate's administrative assistant.
- Agenda: The meeting's agenda was
adopted by the Senate as distributed by the executive secretary.
- Minutes: The Minutes of March 29,
2013 Senate meeting were approved as distributed by the
The following committee reports were presented to, and adopted by, the
Senate without amendment:
- President Robert L. Barchi
President Barchi presented an administrative report, which included
comments on topics including:
- formation of a search committee for the next Rutgers athletic
- Rutgers' new national academy members;
- Rutgers' Human Dignity Awards recently bestowed on seven Rutgers
- strategic planning processes and progress;
- state funding, and efforts to secure more state funding for
Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden; and
- College Avenue and other capital improvements and plans.
President Barchi then responded to questions, or heard comments, on
a variety of subjects, including:
- distribution of capital allocations by campus, on which Barchi
said he would post the numbers online; and
- budgeting and capital allocations and projects, including issues
relating to UMDNJ integration.
At this point in the meeting, Senator Robert Puhak moved that the
Office of the President should send to the entire Rutgers community the
Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) data that
President Barchi presented to the Senate in his PowerPoint slides. The
motion was seconded and adopted by acclamation.
President Barchi responded to, or heard additional comments or
OF THE REPRESENTATIVES TO BOARDS OF GOVERNORS AND TRUSTEES:
- thanks for slowing the strategic planning timetable so the Senate
and constituents can respond in an informed manner; and
- changes in fringe rates, and how to factor those into grant
Samuel Rabinowitz, Faculty Representative to the Board of
Governors, reported on the April 11 and April 23 Board of Governors
meetings. Senator Menahem Spiegel, Faculty Representative
to the Board of Trustees, reported on the April 25 Board
of Trustees meeting.
CAMPUS FACULTY LIAISON REPORTS:
Senator Samuel Rabinowitz, Camden Faculty Council Chairperson, reported
on that group's recent plans and activities. Senator Daniel O'Connor,
New Brunswick Faculty Council Chairperson, reported on that group's
recent plans and activities
CHAIR'S CLOSING COMMENTS:
Chairperson Gould thanked Paul Panayotatos' family for attending the
Senate meeting. She also thanked the Senate, the committee chairs,
Parliamentarian Victor Greenhut, Executive Secretary Ken Swalagin, and
Administrative Assistant Linda Mickelsen for their work over the past
The meeting adjourned
at 4:01 p.m.
Minutes Written and Submitted by,
Executive Secretary of the University Senate