September 4, 2015

MEMBERS PRESENT: Barraco, Borisovets, Cotter, Gillett, Gould (Chair), Janniger (by phone), Langer, Mhaske, Oliver, Otto, Puhak, Schulberg, Swalagin (Executive Secretary), Theiss, Thompson, Wang

ALSO ATTENDING: D. Gonzalez (Graduate Student Representative to the Board of Trustees), B. Lee (Senior V.P. for Academic Affairs), C. McGinnis (Undergraduate Student Representative to the Board of Trustees), S. Rabinowitz (Faculty Representative to the Board of Governors), A. Samant (Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees), M. Spiegel (Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees), A. Williams (Student Representative to the Board of Governors)

The regular meeting of the University Senate Executive Committee was held on Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:10 p.m. in the Executive Board Room of Administrative Services Building-III, Cook Campus.

1.    Chairperson’s Report  - Ann Gould, Senate Chairperson

Senate and Executive Committee Chairperson Ann Gould called the meeting to order at 1:16 p.m. She called for introductions all around. She said that she and Peter Gillett will be attending the CIC Faculty Governance Conference in Ann Arbor in March 2016. Gould thanked Barbara Lee for funding her and Gillett's attendance at that conference.

2.    Secretary’s Report - Ken Swalagin, Executive Secretary of the Senate
3.    Administrative Liaison

Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Barbara Lee presented an administrative report, which included comments on:
Lee then responded to questions, or heard comments, on topics that included the above subjects. Gould commented that Bill Welsh and Gayle Stein are on the next Executive Committee agenda for a discussion about disability policies now in draft form.

[Lee left the meeting at 1:44 p.m.]

4.    Review of Daily Targum Concept Plan for Spring 2016 Referendum

The Executive Committee reviewed the Daily Targum Concept Plan, which had been submitted in preparation for a spring 2016 referendum. The committee approved the concept plan for its educational value, and acknowledged Targum's need for the funding mechanism sought.

5.    Standing

Review of Standing Committee Membership/Rosters: Rosters of Senate standing committees were distributed, and approved by the Executive Committee.


Instruction, Curricula and Advising Committee (ICAC) Response to Charge S-1413 on Selection Process for Software Packages or Services of Significant Instructional ImpactNatalie Borisovets, ICAC Chair

The ICAC had been charged as follows: "Using the most recent Pearson contract as a case in point, review the process by which large contracts that have the potential to seriously affect curricular or academic areas of the University are awarded. How are final bidders selected, and by what criteria are choices made? How are specifications determined for components/needs? How do we ensure that faculty preferences and pedagogical priorities are included in the consideration of such packages?" The report was discussed, and some specific areas were deemed to need further work. The report was sent back to the ICAC for revision.

[At this point in the meeting, Gould asked everyone to maintain confidentiality of the Executive Committee proceedings.]

[Borisovets, Gonzales and McGinnis left the meeting at 3:01 p.m.]

University Structure and Governance Committee (USGC) Response to Charge S-1403 on Process for Unit Mergers or Other Structural Changes – Jon Oliver and Robert Puhak, USGC Co-chairs

The USGC had been charged as follows: "Consider whether the University Senate should establish a general procedure, timeline, template and process for merging, dissolution or making structural changes to any university unit. Consider how such a process could assist the university and units in working in a deliberate, consultative and rational way so that all issues, impacts, concerns and benefits can be properly considered on a timely basis. Make recommendations on time limits, and process." Gillett noted that, because this matter includes a change to Senate bylaws, it would need to go to the Senate first for introduction, then for a vote at the subsequent meeting, in accordance with parliamentary procedure. The report was discussed, and several areas identified for further consideration, particularly regarding a threshold at which the Senate process would be required before structural changes could be made. The report was sent back to the USGC for revision.

University Structure and Governance Committee Response to Charge S-1410 on Honorary Degree and Commencement Speaker Selection Processes – Jon Oliver and Robert Puhak, USGC Co-chairs

The USGC had been charged as follows: "Formulate details of processes to be used to facilitate the proposal submitted to President Barchi on Charge S-1405 on Procedures for Selecting Commencement Speakers and Honorary Degree Recipients." Gould moved to docket this report for the October Executive Committee meeting. The Executive Committee approved the motion.

Issues/Proposed Charges:

Proposed Charge to Academic Standards, Regulations and Admissions Committee (ASRAC) on Academic (and Holiday) Calendar for All RBHS Units - Suggested by Matthew Miller, Assistant RBHS Registrar

This proposed charge was discussed at the June 2015 Executive Committee, at which it was agreed that the Academic Standards, Regulations and Admissions Committee would decide what should be done with the issue. For this meeting, ASRAC Chair Martha Cotter suggested language for the charge, which was slightly modified by the Executive Committee, and issued as follows:

Consider the academic calendars of the various units of RBHS and how they differ from other Rutgers academic calendars. Make proposals for reconciling the different calendars where possible, and for incorporating the RBHS calendar(s) in the official Rutgers academic calendar. Respond to Senate Executive Committee by February 2016.

Determination of which numbers of faculty lines should be used for Senate entitlement calculations.
Numbers received in the past from the administration have included only state-funded lines. RBHS and possibly other units include many faculty not on state lines. This issue was discussed, and Swalagin was asked to research the total number of full-time faculty in each unit, recalculate the Senate entitlements for each unit based on those numbers, and report back to the Executive Committee.

From Robert Boikess, as “a matter of interest for the Senate,” on flawed evaluations of faculty teaching - This matter was tabled until ICAC Chair Natalie Borisovets is present for the discussion.

[Williams left the meeting at 3:48 p.m.]

From James Oleske, RBHS - The following issues submitted by Senator Oleske were discussed and acted upon as noted:

"1. I believe that the medical residents that our faculty supervise, teach and direct for three to seven year periods of residency training, should be considered graduate/post graduate students of Rutgers and after completion of their residency training programs considered Rutgers Alumni." The issue was discussed, and it was decided that more information is needed before a charge could be considered. Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee Member Jane Otto will speak with Senator Oleske.
"2. I would ask for the continued and strong support of the RGPEC in advocating for the continued support of library services in the maintenance for repository/collections that support literature searches and access for faculty, residents and students. In particular I am concerned about any support reduction of the Smith library servicing the Newark campus of NJMS/Rutgers." Otto will discuss this matter with Oleske as well, and bring additional information back to the Executive Committee.
"3. There have been several negative consequences due to the separation of the university hospital in Newark NJ from Rutgers NJMS that threatens the education and clinical training goals for students, residents and faculty at Rutgers NJMS." The issue was discussed, and it was decided that Jerry Langer will bring additional information on this matter to the Executive Committee.

[Schulberg left the meeting at 4:00 p.m.]

7.    University Senate Agenda

September 18, 2015 Senate Meeting:

The September 18 Senate agenda was discussed, and will include:
8.    Old Business

Update on Open Access Policy Implementation [See October 2012 Senate Report on Charge S-1107, Publication Repository. Policy effective September 1, 2015.] – Jane Otto

Jane Otto, former RGPEC chair, provided an update on the Open Access Policy implementation.

9.    New Business

Jon Oliver suggested inviting to an Executive Committee meeting: Kim Pastva, Interim Secretary of the University, and Kenneth Cop (on public safety), Executive Director of Police Services. Peter Gillett's motion to invite Pastva to attend an Executive Committee meeting to discuss how University Policies are revised and disseminated was adopted by the Executive Committee.

Peter Gillett requested Budget and Finance Committee (BFC) input on President Barchi’s Response to Senate Report and Recommendations on Charge S-1408 on Athletics Program Deficits for the next Executive Committee meeting. BFC Chair Menahem Spiegel said he will recommend that an outside authority investigate the matter.

10.    Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 4:19 p.m.

Minutes written and submitted by,

Ken Swalagin
Executive Secretary of the University Senate