A G E N D A
February 10, 2012 - 1:10 p.m.
1. Chairpersons' Report
2. Secretary’s Report
3. Administrative Liaison
4. Standing Committees
- Administrative Report - Bruce Fehn, Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration
Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee Response
to Charge S-1107, Publication Repository/Open Access - The RGPEC has been charged as
the possibility of a Rutgers-specific, centrally driven publication
repository for published papers and books. Provide data about similar
services at peer and aspirant universities. Respond
to Senate Executive Committee by March 2012.
Instruction, Curricula and Advising Committee Response
to Charge S-1104 on Online Teaching Evaluations, and Best Practices in Evaluation of Teaching Performance - [Note: This
report is to go to the Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee for
review and comment before being docketed for Senate action.] The ICAC has been charged as
Investigate best practices in the
evaluation of teaching performance, in particular addressing the question of
whether paper or online evaluation formats should be used and whether any
appropriate safeguards can be put in place to make the use of whatever format
or formats might be employed more efficient and accurate. Obtain data relating
to changes in response rates and average evaluations since the adoption of
online teaching evaluations. [Note: Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee to review and comment on
the ICAC report on this charge before it is docketed for Senate action.]
Proposed Charge to the Student Affairs Committee on Separation of Rutgers-Camden:
The Student Affairs Committee, Alumni Caucus, and Student Caucus
request that it be issued a charge on the proposed separation of
Rutgers-Camden from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as
the short- and long-term ramifications of the proposed separation of
Rutgers-Camden from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey as
relate to, and from the perspectives of, past, present, and prospective
Rationale for the charge: There
are many issues of concern to students, prospective students, and
alumni that go well beyond the financial and political, including but
not limited to the relative value of a Rutgers-Camden diploma, the
effects on present enrollment and perception of the institution by
prospective students. These are issues that are not adequately
adddressed in the current report rationale.
Proposed Charge to/from Budget and
Finance Committee on Questions to be Answered Publicly by Rutgers
Administration Regarding Medical School Merger: The Budget and
Finance Committee (BFC) has suggested that it should receive a charge
to formulate a list of questions that Rutgers' administration should
have answered regarding the medical school merger, and subsequently
make those responses available publicly. BFC Chair Menahem Spiegel will
be present at the meeting to discuss this proposed charge.
Deadline Extensions Required for Pending Charges:
5. University Senate February 24, 2012 Agenda
- S-0808A, Implementation of 2006 Senate Recommendations on Availability of Syllabi: (Instruction, Curricula and Advising Committee) Deadline currently February 2012.
- A-0812A, Evaluation of Administrators, Part 2 - Evaluation of Upper Administration:
Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee advises that a draft report has
gone to the FPAC, and could possibly be ready for February Senate if
necessary. Otherwise, extend deadline to March 2012.
- S-0909A, University College: Student Affairs Committee requests deadline extension to March 2012.
- S-1012, Balance of Full-time and Part-time Faculty Teaching: (Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee) May need deadline extension to April or later.
- S-1013, Rutgers Financial Investments: (Budget and Finance Committee) Deadline currently January 2012.
- S-1016, Academic Freedom and Faculty Participation in University Governance: Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee requests deadline extension to March 2012.
- S-1103, Information Technology and IT Services at Rutgers: Budget and Finance Committee requests deadline extension to March 2012.
- Meeting to be held in Camden
- Camden Campus Report - Wendell Pritchett, Rutgers-Camden Chancellor
- Bus and Lunch have been arranged.
- Committee of the Whole on Rutgers-Camden?