A G E N D
September 3, 2010 - 1:10
2. Secretary’s Report
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes of June 4, 2010
Senate Executive Committee Meeting
- President McCormick's acknowledgements of Senate reports and recommendations:
- June 2010 Response on S-0605, Admissions and Financial Aid Assessment, from the Academic Standards, Regulations and Admissions Committee
- June 2010 Response on S-0905, Academic Integrity Policy, from the Academic Standards, Regulations and Admissions Committee
- July 2010 Response on S-0805, Senate Representation by Full-time, Non-Tenure-Track Faculty, from the University Structure and Governance Committee
- July 2010 Response on A-0812, Part I, Evaluation of Academic Deans, from the Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee
- August 2010 Response on S-0806, Hybrid Courses and Model of Teaching, from the Instruction, Curricula and Advising Committee. See also Announcement of "Teaching in an Online Environment" Series from Monica Devanas, CTAAR.
4. Standing Committees
- Administrative Report - Philip Furmanski, Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Assignment of Committee Chairs:
Draft Charge to Budget and Finance Committee on Rutgers' Current Information, Data, and Media Systems
(from June 2010 Executive Committee meeting): Consider what Senator
Leslie Fishbein has suggested is a "Need for a review of [Rutgers']
current information, data, and media systems to insure that they are as
modernized as we can afford them to be and that they communicate well
with one another." Include RIAS in discussions of this issue.
Prioritize the list of systems for review and updating, and make
recommendations which would also include suggestions on appropriate
procedures such as consultation with end-users.
- Student Affairs Committee: Student Senator Adam Helgeson has accepted the Executive Committee's request that he co-chair the Student Affairs Committee.
- Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee:
Faculty Senator Barbara Cooper has not yet responded to the Executive
Committee's request that she co-chair the Research, and Graduate and
Professional Education Committee.
Draft Charge to Academic Standards,
Regulations and Admissions Committee on Academic Calendar, Mini-Terms,
and Spring Break Saturdays issue raised by Camilo Garcia, Camden Registrar: "Consider and respond to the issues raised by Camden Registrar Camilo Garcia in his email to Sam Rabinowitz regarding seven-week "mini-terms" and Spring Break Saturdays."
Proposed Charge to Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee on Balance of Full-Time and Part-Time Faculty, submitted by PTL Senator Karen Thompson: "Consider the 1999 Report on the Balance of Full-time and Part-time Faculty Teaching at Rutgers University,
and, with updated numbers and charts from the Office of Academic
Affairs, make recommendations concerning changing trends and shifting
percentages, paying particular attention to what may be unconscious
drift in misguided directions."
Proposed Charges to Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee (RGPEC), submitted by Daniel Swartley-McArdle and Gayle Stein, 2009-2010 RGPEC co-chairs:
5. University Senate Agendas
- Rutgers Publication Policy:
"Review, discuss and make recommendations on the Rutgers Publication
Policy. Review the capability to accomplish this, as well as the
reasons for open access publishing, such as RU Core. Evaluate other
universities' policies and suggest best practices for Rutgers." [See RUCore Policies and University Policy 50.3.7, Copyright Policy.]
- Institutional Review Boards:
"Look into set-up, and clear and reasonable threshold, and the ability
to fast-track. Examine the dual-IRB structure that currently exists in
some instances and make recommendations accordingly."
- Security, Storage, and Destruction of Data:
"Look at how Rutgers handles data associated with research projects,
focusing on guidelines, protocols, most affected and vulnerable, and
how individual units are responding to this problem."
- Time to Degree Completion:
"Evaluate the ability of students to complete their master's and
professional degrees on time and make recommendations as to how the
process might be improved."
- Research Infrastructure and Equipment:
"Address the problem of much needed equipment , policy about
replacement and repair. Propose a mechanism by which units can
communicate with each other and facilitate a multi-disciplinary
approach to solving this problem. Examine the feasibility of
September 24, 2010 Senate Meeting: This meeting hosts the President's Annual Address to the Rutgers Community, which is the primary agenda item.
October 1, 2010 Senate Meeting:
- October 1 meeting will be held in New Brunswick. The October 22 meeting is scheduled for Camden.
- Election of Staff Senator Member of the Senate Executive
Committee [Universitywide staff Senator elections had not been
completed prior to last year's Senate organizational meeting.]
- University Structure and Governance
to Charge S-0902, Senate Speakers, Discussions, Forums. [This item was tabled at the April 30, 2010 Senate meeting.]
7. New Business